What's Cooking: Cheesy Chicken Roulade
This recipe was inspired by loads of cheese my husband brought back from Sweden. I asked him to bring me a cheese sampler, but he brought a LOT! Enough to feed Mickey and everyone in his Clubhouse!
For this recipe I used Mesost (my new favorite), its a sweet cheese with a very distinct caramel flavor and color, too yummy! Another cheese I used is Prästost, a really strong vodka flavored cheese, apparently it's best served on its own, but it worked well with the sweet flavor of Mesost so I didn't really have to do much with the chicken.
Of course, you don't have to scour the Metro looking for these two, I use kesong puti (goat cheese) and Kraft Eden cheese all the time. What ever kid of nice melting cheese you got in your fridge would do. As long as it's cheese that you and your family would eat that's fine.
Okay so enough of the yapping and let's get cooking!
4 pcs flattened chiken breast fillet
4 pcs canadian bacon (any bacon would do,really it's BACON!)
4 sticks Mesost cheese ( best way i can describe it is the size of your index finger)
4 sticks Prästost cheese (again, the index finger is your guide)
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
pepper to taste
butcher's twine or toothpicks
bamboo or stainless steamer
pot of boiling water
1. Cover the chicken with cling wrap and flatten with a meat mallet or back of a cleaver. Be gentle enough not to tear them to pieces.
2. Assemble your roulade, place the chicken fillet on top of the bacon, they should be around the same size, add more bacon if needed. It should look like the chicken is wrapped in bacon.
3.Sprinkle ground pepper on the chicken, place one stick each of the Mesost and Prästost cheese(you can go crazy and add more if you want), and roll them into a log. Brush with a little olive oil.
4. Secure the log with butcher's twine or in my case toothpicks (clean,unused ones)!
5. If you have a steamer, you are lucky! If not, you can put a bamboo steamer on top of a pot of boiling water or use a rice cooker with steamer. Place the chicken rolls of a heat-resistant dish and steam for 15 to 20 minutes. Once the chicken is done, slice them and drizzle with maple syrup!
* Best served with a salad and basically ANYTHING! It a yummy yummy dish!